Sergei Fedorov: “Pleased to become first Russian to score 1500 points” (Photo © khl.ru)
Former NHL player Sergei Fedorov, now playing in the KHL, has scored his 1500th career-point. He became the first Russian player ever to reach that mark, leaving behind such players as Igor Larionov, Alexander Mogilniy, Alexei Kovalev, Alexei Yashin and others.
RussianHockeyFans.com offers you a translation of Fedorov’s interview to a Russian newspaper Sport-Express.
– Did you know you were stuck at 1499 career-points mark before this game?
– Yeah, they told me about it. I knew the numbers but didn’t pay much attention to it. Today I recorded two assists so I may say that I exceeded the plan (laughs).
– You are the first Russian player to achieve this result. Even the players from the legendary top CSKA and USSR Team line couldn’t do that.
– I don’t think it’s correct to make such comparisons. But nevertheless it’s a honour and I’m very pleased to be the first Russian player to score 1500 points in various tournaments.
– Do you beleive youself in this?
– Why wouldn’t I?
– Do you think that Alexander Ovechkin, Ilya Kovalchuk or Evgeni Malkin will ever exceed your achievement?
– I think they can do it, they are capable of scoring more points than me. I wish them good luck.
– Do you approve of our calculation approach when we sum up all the points scored in the major tournaments in Europe as well as in the North America?
– I beleive it is correct. It’s quite interesting to have a look at the points scored in various tournaments. To tell you the truth, when I was young, I’d even make some notes, counting my points. But then I gave it up.
– What was the reason of your 1499-point mark standstill?
– I don’t know. Maybe I had no luck. But for me it’s much more important that my team was winning. I never prefered individual stats to team’s success.